We Love Our Junior High Grade Peer Mentors!
2/24 Class Party and Dojo Store
2/28 Field Trip to Mission San Diego De Alcala
2/28 Chapter 6 Math Test
3/1 Ash Wednesday Mass
3/2 Chapter 4 Science Test
3/3 No Mass & Noon Dismissal
3/3 Mission Models Due (optional)
3/3 Science Extra Credit Due (optional)
3/8 Last Day to Turn in Work for 2nd Trimester
3/10 End of 2nd Trimester
3/10 Mission Report Due
3/17 Report Cards Go Home
3/20 Book Report Novel Should be READ
3/23 Mandatory Parent Meeting for the Overnight Field Trip
3/24 Field Trip to the Nursing Home
3/31 Fantasy/Mystery Book Report Due
The End of the Trimester is Quickly Approaching- Students had 45 minutes in class on Tuesday to look at their grades, ask questions about assignments and work on any make up work. Please go over your child's progress report with them, log into grade link and read my comments, and help them reflect on their work this trimester. The signed progress report & reflection is due on Friday. There should be no surprises when report cards come home in a few weeks!
Many students are coming to school without their school supplies, textbooks, iPads,etc. It is extremely important that students have what they need for school each day. If your child brings home a book to study (or Mission Report Folder to work on), please help them to remember to bring it back to school the next day. Students who don't have supplies, forget their books or their iPads aren't charged will be fined Dojo Dollars. Also- all textbooks need to be covered! If your child's book cover is coming off (or not covered at all) please help them to get a new one.
Potty Language- I have been noticing that some of the students have been experimenting with potty language recently. There is far too much giggling and whispering going on and I've had to interrupt some conversations about inappropriate topics. I don't think that the students are trying to say foul language with bad intentions, I believe they are being silly, experimenting with new words, and trying to make their friends laugh. Regardless of the intention, it is unacceptable in our classroom and at our school. We had a discussion about a particular phrase that was being said today in class, but since so many students were absent we will be discussing this further at our Monday Morning meeting. Please continue the conversation with your child at home about the language that they use and the impression that it makes on others. Thank you for your support in this matter.
Science Extra Credit Opportunities - the students have recently received two opportunities for extra credit in science. One was a calendar poster contest from the Santa Fe Irrigation District with the theme of "Be Water Smart". The other is an article summary project (directions went home yesterday). I do not offer extra credit upon request, so it is important that students take advantage of these opportunities as they arise. Both projects are due next Friday 3/3.
Class Party - Thank you everyone who signed up to bring things in for our class party this Friday. I think we have plenty to feast on! Food can be brought in before school or at 11:15 if it needs to be served hot or cold. Please keep in mind that we have nut allergies in the class.
Field Trip to Mission San Diego de Alcala is coming up on Tuesday 2/28. We will leave school by 8:15 so please make sure that your child is on time that day! We will be back before lunch so they can have their regular packed lunch or Kis.
Ash Wednesday Mass is next week. Students should come to school in their mass uniforms. There will be no mass on Friday.
Mission Reports Clarification
The students are doing all of the research and note taking for their mission reports in class. A typed paragraph with information from their notes is due each Friday. Many students are able to complete their note taking and paragraph writing in class. Most students have also started working on their map, artwork, and Indian diaries. I am checking that the student work is completed each week but I am not editing their work. The editing and putting together of the report will be done at home. This is a formal report and is expected to be written with correct grammar and spelling. The students will have a chance to do some peer editing in class, but they may also need some help at home. I will be collecting all of the notes at the end of the project. The final report is due on March 10th.
The mission Model IS OPTIONAL and is due next Friday 3/3.
Payday and Dojo Store - Students who have all of the week's work completed will get to go to Dojo Store this Friday. At Dojo Store they can buy different treasure box items, school supplies, and coupons. Many students are saving up for larger prizes. If students do not have the school supplies that they need, they are required to use their Dojo Dollars to buy these items. Whiteboard markers, glue sticks and scissors are a hot commodity right now!
Medicine - if your child is bringing medicine to school they need to give it to an adult to administer. Even if it is cough drops.
Penny Wars- the 4th grade won the award of bringing in the most pennies for penny wars. Great job 4th grade!
GALA UPDATES - PLEASE READ, MOMENTUM IS BUILDING- 6 WEEKS AWAY!
Committee and Volunteer Meeting 3/1 Following Ash Wednesday Mass
- Winner receives Hearts on Fire .75ctw diamond studs in 18w gold. SRP $3,950.00.
- Ticket cost: 1 for $100, 3 for $250 or 5 for $400.
- Only 40 tickets available.
- Reserve your ticket by contacting email@example.com or Janna@Passionfinejewelry.com
- See Flyer for more details
- Thank you to Passion Fine Jewelry and the Jackson Family for this generous donation
- Tickets are $10 each.
- Prize is $5000.
- Sign up to sell your raffle tickets at Mass or at a Friday Fish Feast:
- We are asking for every SJA Family to sell a minimum of 20 Raffle Tickets. Need more tickets? Pick them up in the front office.
- Class Prizes – First class to reach 100% Participation will receive a $50 Gift Card for their Teacher. Every Class that reaches 100% Participation will receive an Ice Cream Party!
- Once your 20 tickets are sold and turned in your family will be entered into the weekly $5 Gift Card drawing.
- Weekly Drawing Winner: The Gale Family.
- Questions? Contact Lisa Ronco @ Lronco531@gmail.com or Melissa Mahon @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Gala Gift Giving Week- Continues
Thanks for your donations!
- Thursday - Travel. Have any unused travel miles, rental house, hotel points, etc. you would be willing to donate to SJA for the Gala? We can't do this without you and we are looking for some big tick
- Friday - Event Donations. Do you have access to tickets to a sporting event or upcoming concert that you could donate? Padres? SDSU? Concert?
- Miss a Day? No problem! You can drop off any and all donations (wine and gift cards, too) any day during Drop Off or Pick up.
Additional sponsorship opportunities and levels have been added.
- Donate a Ticket to your Teacher and/or their Spouse. - $125/$250
- Buy a Business Card Ad or a Personalized Ad - $500
- Be a St. James Academy Sponsor - $1000
- More Information can be found attached below.
- Questions: Contact Kristin Stiles 323-345-9999
Gala Donation Form, Gala Sponsorship, Jewelry Raffle Flyer, Register Now to Attend